The State of Wisconsin requires all short term rentals to hold a lodging license. Before you rent you may also need a zoning permit from Bayfield County. Lastly, you will also need a Short Term Rental Permit issued from the Town of Bayfield prior to renting.
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture and Consumer Trade Protection (DATCP) issues licenses for all short term rentals in the State of Wisconsin. These rentals are called "Tourist Rooming Houses". Bayfield County Health Department is the State's agent for this program and will be the department to contact to obtain your lodging license.
- Wisconsin State Lodging Code ATCP 72 for short term rentals and ATCP 73
- Bayfield County Health Department Lodging License Application
- Lodging License Checklist
- Short Term Rental Guide - Pamphlet from Wisconsin Lodging Association,
DATCP and WI Municipalities.
- Town of Bayfield Short Term Rental Permit Application
- New Applicant: $300
- Renewal: $250
- Renewals made after April 30 will be an additional $100
- State of WI Tourist Rooming License dated within the past 12 months
- Proof of Insurance
- The rental property must be covered by a minimum of $1,000,000 limit of liability that covers both the rental property and its operations dated within the past 12 months.
- Floor Plan(s) for all units
- Detailed Site Plan to include on-site parking plan
- Wisconsin Sellers Permit: Homeowners and Individuals Selling Short-Term Lodging
- The owner/operator of the property must register with the WI Department of Revenue for a license to collect taxes (if the total sales revenue is $2,000 or more). If a lodging marketplace does not collect tax, the short-term lodging provider is responsible for reporting and paying taxes.
- Bayfield Special Use A or Conditional Permit (if applicable)
The Bayfield Fire Department is finalizing fire inspection plans and requirements for the 2024 Short-Term Rental Cycle. This webpage will be updated with more information as soon as it becomes available
- Bayfield Fire Department
- Self Survey Fire Inspection - Short Term Rental
- Contact Information - Bayfield Fire Prevention Division
THESE ARE NON EMERGENCY CONTACTS: IF YOU ARE HAVING AN EMERGENCY DIAL 911
- Bayfield Fire Department Lead Inspector: Roger Branham (715) 209-2030 [email protected]